Old August 28th 06, 05:52 AM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
George Macdonald

Default PC CPU companies

On 27 Aug 2006 23:26:29 GMT, Grant Schoep
wrote:

I can't beleive I can't remeber this right now... so I'll ask. I remeber
building a bunch(about 10) computers for my old college computer lab back
in 1998. We really had no money, like a hardware budget of 1500 a year or
some crap.

Our little old 286 and a few "big" 486dx33s workstations were really
outdated. I figured out a good upgrade. But I can't remeber the company
that made the CPU, and its driving me nuts....

So this was the orig. Pentium days, I had decided on buying 10 FIC-2007 AP
motherboards, had great reviews at that time. Still have one, minus the
CPU, in my garage somewhere.

I opted for a ??? CPU, it wasn't Cyrix, Intel, or AMD. It was 200mhz... I
think it was another acronym name, like Ixx, where x is some letter, I
think there was an I in there anyways...

IDT Winchip C6?

Urg... anyways, back in spring time 1998, I remeber this was supposed to be
a decent CPU for the price. Heck, I think I bought it off of
realworldtech.com. Dean, you still post on here?

Anyways, just wondering if people remeber some of the CPU company's from
that time... it would be interesting to see a "history of CPU manufacters"
article somewhere,

I'm sure Google will turn up such an article.

--
Rgds, George Macdonald