Old December 2nd 18, 03:33 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
[email protected]

Default Need cables for ATEN CS104 4-port KVM

On Sun, 02 Dec 2018 06:07:15 -0500, wrote:

On Sat, 01 Dec 2018 20:12:49 -0500, Paul

Damned if I can find what I need.
Normal VGA's won't do.
Mouse and keyboard are PS2.
Anyone?
Thanks
Al

What happened to the cables you were using up to this date ???

You did have a working KVM a while back I believe.

If I'd known you were this devoid of materials,
I would have sent you off to buy a new KVM. As
it would be easier than scrounging up obscure items
to make it work.

What if the KVM itself isn't working, after you've
gone to all this trouble ?

You gave the impression before, you had everything
but a power brick, and so we tried to find a power
solution for you. But if everything is missing,
it's getting perilously close to "buy a new kit
with everything included".

Paul

Ur right.
Actually what has happened is this. A while back, my IOGEAR GCS1774
USB2 4-port Miniview Symphony VGA KVME stopped working, so I have
been pretty-well restricted to one PC. Then I found this ATEN CS-104
VGA KVM in my spoils bucket, and thought to see if it works. The
first thing I had to do was get a compatible power adapter, which I
did. I found that the KVM at least fires up, and its CPU-selection
button seems to work fine.

That brings me to the point of trying to hook it up to my PCs. Hence
I need cables. That's when I have found that my cables don't match
up, gender-wise. Looks like the monitor VGA cables must be male-male
in and male-female out, and the PS2 mouse/keyboard cables, male-male.
To me, anyway. Seems odd for sure.

I think the cables I found, and cited yesterday, will connect right. I
do wonder tho, if said VGA cables will work with this KVM. I say that
because normal VGA cables will not work with the IOGEAR KVM, and its
manual says so, explicitly. Seems the VGA pins are slightly
different - and so I can't be too quick.

BTW, a KVM package, with cables et all, is quite expensive. So
because I am Scottish (not really), I embarked on this folly.

What to do, what to do.
Happy gobble gobble.
Al

I have done some looking for cables for my ATEN KVM. I think I will
need:
1) to connect inputs to KVM:
monitor - VGA cable, KVM monitor end male to KVM end male
mouse - PS/2 mouse to KVM end male PS/2
keyboard - PS/2 keyboard to KVM male PS/2
2) to connect KVM to each CPU:
monitor - CPU end, VGA male to KVM end female VGA
mouse - KVM CPU PS/2 male to PS2 mouse
keyboard - KVM CPU PS/2 male to PS2 keyboard

agree???

Thanks
Al