Old August 19th 04, 05:45 AM
CJT

kony wrote:

On Wed, 18 Aug 2004 19:21:58 GMT, CJT
wrote:

Darren Harris wrote:

Can anyone tell me if hard drive spindle speed is an important factor
to consider when purchasing a hard drive?

Or should I just concentrate on average latency, average access, and
max. full seek time?

I ask because two hard drives with a data rate of 80mps can differ in
these other respects.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

For most people, desktop hard drives are hardly ever accessed anyway,
so speed is pretty irrelevant. Unless you're setting up a server that
will be accessed by many, go for the cheapest drive per byte stored.

Nonsense, everything the system is running is loaded from HDD,
and the speed is directly effected by speed of that hard drive.
A Celeron 800 with a WD Raptor HDD will feel faster for everday
use than a P4 3.2GHz with a budget-grade 40GB HDD.

Nothing wrong with choosing cheapest GB/$ for mass storage, but
it cripples a system to use such drives as primary app or OS
drive.

I disagree. If you spend all day browsing and word processing, you
load your browser and word processor once in the morning, and once
they're open then opening them isn't any longer an issue (unless
your machine crashes a lot -- but that's not usually the disk's fault).