Old January 24th 09, 09:45 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.chips
Robert Redelmeier

Default AMD dead?

Jan Panteltje wrote in part:
This is a German link, but the numbers (scroll down)
should be readable in any language:
http://www.heise.de/newsticker/AMD-t...meldung/122211

Well, I read german and used to subscribe to c't. Reliable people,
and they weren't particularly negative.

But you could have said AMD would die at the end of 2007
just as well as at the end of 2008. One day it will happen.
Almost no companies live forever.

I would caution reading too much into the profit numbers. While
they are almost certainly correct, accounting rules are subject to
"management". Companies can have "kitchen sink" quarters where they
"bring out their dead" -- projects and other losses that were not
recognized/incorporated when they should have been.

AMD may well die of a coup-de-grace from its' bankers/financiers.
Whether it deserves it or not. So could Intel, depending on
cash reserves. As for AMD health in the marketplace, I would
look to #CPUs sold versus Intel. Who has lost more volume?
ASP is tricky because it includes sector shifts.

-- Robert R