Old November 15th 03, 04:54 PM
Hans de Vries

(lmurata) wrote in message . com...
(Hans de Vries) wrote in message . com...
(lmurata) wrote in message . com...

Actually, It IS the same slide, So Sony Cell == Blue Gene ?!?

What I meant was that the slide was changed to refer to cell and not
blue gene. Most think that Kutaragi simply made a mistake and forgot
to change the numbers. I usually point out why one would change the
text on the slide but forget to change the numbers also.

Blue Gene has changed a lot in the mean time... but it still doesn't
look like a PS2 or PS3.

Could Microsoft license Cell technology from IBM for Xbox2? Some have
suggested that Sony's lawyers would never allow it. Others have said
that IBM does not own the technology.

It seems so, It seems that Nintendo will use it as well.
See this press-release he

http://www.forbes.com/home_asia/news...tr1147955.html

" IBM vice president of technology and strategy Irving
Wladawsky-Berger said that the supercomputer used 1,000
microprocessors that are based on PowerPC microchip
technology. The PowerPC chip is currently used in Apple
Computer Inc. computers.

It is also the technology that will be the foundation
of the next generation of gaming consoles from Nintendo
Co. and Sony Corp., which IBM is working on, he said.

He said the chips were less expensive and consumed less
power than traditional microprocessors, making it possible
to pack the same amount of computing power into a smaller
space. Producing the chips in volume for gaming will help
offset the costs of building supercomputers, he said"

So indeed, Blue Gene/L == Cell now.

(maybe there will be Sony specific APU's although the fact that they
use the same presentation slides seems to suggest otherwise)

I didn't see any PS2/PS3 like 128 bit (4x32) bit SIMD in Blue Gene/L.
Rather 2x64 with two independent 64 bit Floating Point units. However,
it is relatively simple to implement dual 32 bit on those units by
re-using much of the hardware (like the multiplier Wallace trees).
Ideally would be something which is also compatible with Apple's
Altivec. IBM's realizes what mass-production can do I guess.

Blue Gene/L: http://sc-2002.org/paperpdfs/pap.pap207.pdf

Blue Gene/L released right now:

http://groups.google.com/groups?dq=&...land.ib m.com

Just imagine what it could mean, with Microsoft now included, If
Windows XP 64 runs not only on Xbox, but also on Playstation 3 !?
or even on Nintendo game consoles?

That would be quite an historical turning point.

Regards, Hans