Old December 13th 19, 08:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Char Jackson

Default Clocks with chips. Whatever will be next.

On Fri, 13 Dec 2019 17:00:48 -0600, Rene Lamontagne

On 2019-12-13 10:48 a.m., Paul wrote:
Char Jackson wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 23:31:26 -0500, Paul wrote:

Flasherly wrote:
On Thu, 12 Dec 2019 20:04:25 -0500, Flasherly
wrote:

a dollar for the movement behind a piece of paper sold for $20.

-

A revelation of stunning magnitude.

At a pinnacle of Nazi Engineering, subsequently Volkswagen (TM) was
adapted to provide a Western American capital market with an
"Everyman's Car", comprising no owner mechanical expertise above and
beyond what one man could not perform, solely and individually, to
maintain and replace a Volkswagen vehicle part(s) accordingly within
workable order.

The first Volkswagen Beatles were sold in America for $600/US for
operating on a 6Vold electrical system from a 40-horsepower motor.

Now a clock movement, from China, occurs at under $1/US to subsidized
US mail services, and, as we're informed, a gasoline-fueled vehicle
costs an American $40,000/US.* It's fully a 360-degree magnitude of
import.
The best part of the Volkswagen, was the gasoline powered
car heater :-)

Until the heat exchanger rusts out and the cabin fills with exhaust
gas. I
had to drive with both front windows down so that the exhaust had a place
to go. That was annoying but tolerable during the summer, but it got
rough
during the winter when the temps were below -20F.

That's why I mentioned it. I remember driving to uni
with someone in the winter, in their bug, and nearly
being gassed, and we drove with the windows down
a bit to "reduce the rate of poisoning" :-)

I was kinda wondering at the time, whether that heater
idea ever worked right.

** Paul

No, they never did and were a real danger in every way.

Rene

Actually, my friend had a bug where the heater worked beautifully. When
they work, they're awesome because they start throwing heat almost
immediately, unlike a standard water-cooled engine that needs to warm up
first. I agree about the danger, though. A pinhole leak, over time, might
not alert you with the exhaust smell but might be enough to make you
drowsy. That could be a safety issue.

With that bug, though, first the throttle cable broke and my friend
replaced it with a piece of light rope. Then the clutch cable broke shortly
after. We limped it home, but it was interesting because we had to roll
through stop signs and stop lights. That was the clue, though, that a visit
to the local junk yard was in order. Luckily, we were able to scrounge both
cables.