Old March 16th 05, 01:02 PM
Spajky

On 15 Mar 2005 20:18:20 -0800, wrote:

I would like to know the way to reduce the speed of a fan inside a
small device in order to cut down the noise from the fan. If I
understand this correctly, I am supposed to do this by undervolting the
fan from 12-volt .....

The small device is a LinkSys gigabit switch that has a very noisy 40mm
fan in it. I have replaced it with a slightly quieter Papst 60mm fan.
My intention is to oversize the fan and then reduce the fan speed; then
I will be able to maintain the same air flow as the 40mm fan but with
less noise. Now, I have the oversized fan mounted inside the gigabit
switch. And I can feel that its air flow is definitely stronger than
the 40mm fan. This means I can go ahead to reduce its speed without
worrying about the possibility of not getting enough air flow. I need
to figure out how to reduce its speed.

My questions a

- The fan is rated as 12V and 0.6 watt with two wires.

Thanks in advance for any information.

there should be also a +5 V somewhere inside the case available!
Find it & tray that instead of 12V ...
--
˛˛ ˛˛ Regards , SPAJKY ®
\\.//_. mail addr. @ my site @