Old September 23rd 03, 03:15 PM
JT

On Tue, 23 Sep 2003 13:30:25 +0000 (UTC), "O |V| 3 G A"
wrote:

hi,

i`m in the market for a new HDD (my maxtor 40gb just aint big enough) and
i`m fancying making use of the 2x SATA ports on my a7n8x dlx mainboard.

i`m liking western digital's offering of their 10,000 rpm 8mb cache SATA
drive, but being only 36gb, it's just not big enough. is there any
manufacture making a 10k rpm drive around the 80-120gb area?

also, money permitting, i`m thinking about hitting the RAID striping scene,
and if the drive is too expensive, then i`d add the 2nd drive at a later
date. if i was todo this, i`d be running straight SATA for a while untill i
can afford the 2nd HDD for RAID. will i be able to add the 2nd drive and
setup a raid config without reinstalling winXP?

thanks
tim draper

WD just introduced their 73gb 10k rpm Raptors. If they are anything like
the 36gb ones, they will be very fast. Put one in a DB server which needed
the speed and it is outstanding in performance. (Having a gig of ram, dual
channel DDR helps as well). If you need speed, these are as fast as it gets
without SCSI