Old January 8th 08, 01:36 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default XP / Restore question

Thanks guys, but my question isn't hardware/ disk-test related. The price
of a new hard drive is immaterial. I'm just trying to see if I can "fix
his drive" without wiping/reinstalling XP.
And then about Quickrestore CD - if I boot it on his PC ( his restore
partition is fine), will I see menu showing his backup points/dates or
just "return his pc to factory software " ?
Thanks

Two parts :
1 - anyone know what is happening in XP Home when you see "Windows is
starting ... " [ JUST before the user logon icons appear ( 2 users - no
pwds)], and
2. Restore CD - " Last saved" profile? or just Factory restore ? to fix a
windows system file .
snipped

"Ben Myers" wrote in message
Download HDAT2 and run it. You will find out a lot about the health of
your
hard drive. http://www.hdat2.com/

... Ben Myers

On Mon, 07 Jan 2008 23:12:15 GMT, Postman Delivers

wrote:

SNIP

* * *
Bobb,

I would do a hard drive test, I like the one in speedfan, it provides
raw
information locally, and then does a comparison test on-line - Use the
S.M.A.R.T. tab... ignore the fans speed hot rodding...

I also like the idea of participation of adding more Hard Drives
performance figures to to his growing database...

Bobb, if anything looks a bit odd then I would go get the Hard drive
manufactures diagnostic software...

Ben, also had a different Hard Drive testing application that read the
S.M.A.R.T. info... But that would be my next check, remember drives are
reasonablly priced today...

JR the postman