Old December 25th 03, 03:54 PM
Steve W.

Most of the cards I have used you just install the card and drivers and
you ready to go. No need to disable anything.

--
Steve

"donutbandit" wrote in message
"Rob F. in Houston" wrote in
m:

My sister got a Camera that requires a USB 1.1 or higher port on the
computer. She has a several year old Compaq Presario with the old

1.0
(?) USB ports on it, I can get a PCI card with two 2.0 USB ports on

it
for $ 10.00 or so but my question is what about the existing 1.0 USB
ports, will plugging in the new PCI USB card disable the old USB

ports
(that would be fine there not used anyway) or will they all be daisy
chained together ? I see no way to disable the on-board USB ports

in
Setup and there is no easy way to physically disconnect the old USB
ports cause they are soldered on the mother board. Do I spend the $
10.00 for the USB PCI card plug in in and hope for the best ? Or is
there a way to have Windows 98 default to the new USB ports ?

There should be software to install the new USB card.

I have no experience with this, but I would say that you'd disable the
onboard ports in the BIOS and then the software would take over at

bootup.