Old July 15th 19, 07:20 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi Paul and other folks. Now I'd like to try with a converter from enclosure's USB 3.0 type B port to mobo's SATA III port. I think this has definitely to work because fantec's usb connection by usb cable were always ok. I've an idea about the cable-converter and I'd like to share it and ask you for my mistakes if any.
I'd want to get this from amazon
https://www.amazon.it/gp/product/B077TRWR1J
and modify it by cutting away / hacking the power supply plug part by a saw or cutter, I mean only the light blue part with the L-shaped data plug will remain on sata plug light blue side. After that I'll get a simple usb adapter B male (enclosure) - A female (converter) like this
https://www.amazon.com/DTOL-Type-Fem.../dp/B000AA2SMS
and I'd able to connect my enclosure to mobo's sata. As already said above (much above ) the enclosure has its own power supply so this converter will only carry data on.
Do you think that will work?

It would be less work to acquire a 2.5"/3.5" adapter.
One that comes with a 12V power adapter (for 3.5" drives).

https://www.amazon.com/WEme-Converte.../dp/B00MVRS38G

The one you selected, is good for 5V (2.5") drives only,
and with power requirements of less than 5V @ 900mA (bus power
limit of conventional USB3).

*******

I own more than one adapter here.

1) I have the USB3 to SATA cable (5V only) that you were
looking at. I use it with SATA SSD drives. I measure the
SSD drives in advance, to determine their power usage is
not too high.

2) I also own an enclosure with power supply (12V wall wart),
suitable for 2.5" or 3.5" drives. I have removed the
controller board from the enclosure. I don't use the
enclosure part, and just sit all the wires and junk on
the table when using it.

This requires no cutting and hacking of anything. I have
solutions for all occasional. I could do everything with
(2), but purchased (1) just so I could work on SSDs by
themselves. It's the best of both worlds. Big drives
get to use adapter (2).

Paul