Old July 3rd 19, 07:38 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

MaxTheFast wrote:
My esata-sata is a 3Gb/s 1m long delock cable (ean 4043619842902; ref 84290). You can get "datasheet" (let's call it like that) he https://www.delock.de/files/16067.download So its lenght is ok.
My sata ports are III gen.
My HDD is a 1TB 7200rpm WD black WD1003FZEX-00K3CA0. Here https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1991 you can see jumper settings @1.II paragraph and followings... it's arab for me. Anyway what about jumpers if my hdd relays within an enclosure? I guess I can set jumpers only when I place it within my case and not within my enclosure, right?

OK, so you have the ingredients for trouble

Host-SATAIII-port --------------- WD1003FZEX-SATAIII-drive
ESATA cable

It will try to run at SATA III, and the hardware "might
not have sufficient common sense" to not run at that
rate. There could be communications trouble as a result.

The Seagate has the 1x4 jumper block (2mm).

The WDC brand has a 2x4 jumper block (0.1").

You compare the jumper info on the label, to the
generic information here for WDC.

https://support-en.wd.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1991

For Force150 drives, they're calling this OPT1.

For Force300 drives, they're calling this PHY_Enabled.

In each case, pins 5-6 pair have a 0.1" jumper placed across them.

So WDC and Seagate aren't using the same jumper.
I checked the 1x4 block and it is 2mm.

I have two scales here, a plastic scale with mm
and a nice steel scale with 0.1" marks.

*******

The objective is, to pull the disk out of the enclosure,
jumper the Force300 pair (5-6 pins), put the drive
back in the enclosure, connect the ESATA cable and test.

Paul