Old July 3rd 19, 03:26 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default MSI B450-A PRO doesn't recognize external HDD via esata-sata

wrote:
I've no doubt about that but the real problem is there's a certain possibility that my enclosure fails with its esata outgoing signal. If it is then a PCI won't work because it will have nothing to convert to.
I joined
http://www.fantec-forum.de to tell my issue to them especially for the potential damage about usb-esata chips told above by Paul. I'm waiting approval to open my thread...

@Paul
As said my mobo has no esata port, only 6 sata ones. I can only keep my bios firmware up to date but I doubt something about an esata improvement will be done, anyway as you said there wouldn't be issues for a sata port to recognize an esata input, would it?

If you're using a SATA port to host ESATA,
remember to keep the total cable length
at 1 meter (36 inches) or less.

Real ESATA (enhanced launch amplitude and receive sensitivity)
gives 2 meters of cable total.

Whereas SATA doesn't have quite the same reach.

That would be the difference between the two.

When computing cable length, include the length
of cable used inside the computer (SATA cable to
PCI slot ESATA output) plus the length of external
cable.

One problem is, ESATA should only operate in SATA I
or SATA II mode. I gather that SATA III over a long
length of cable, is a non-starter. A proper ESATA
implementation, should prevent operation at
higher rates.

Some hard drives have a "Force150" jumper position.

SATA II drive, Force150 jumper gives SATA I rate

SATA III drive, Force jumper gives SATA II rate

Consequently, you can "jumper down" a SATA III HDD
before placing it in an ESATA enclosure, as an
aid to making it work with a "regular" SATA III port
on a motherboard.

Typically, you need to find a 2mm jumper plug,
to jumper down the drive. The jumper plugs aren't
0.1", as has been used in the past.

With an SSD, there is no jumper, and then you'd be
forced to use an ATA command of some sort, to force
operation at a lower rate. (Hitachi used to have a
tool for their own drives, because Hitachi hard drives
lacked the jumper block in question. The jumper block
on other brands is a 1x4.)

Many, many variables. Such fun.

Paul