Old October 12th 18, 04:34 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
RayLopez99

Default Windows 10 fails to boot, then it reboots, bizarre self-fix

UPDATE: I spoke too soon! I just got a fail after I rebooted, and "Automatic Repair" does not fix it, nor does going back to an earlier version using System Restore.

I think I have to shell out $9.99 and buy a 'used' copy of Windows 10, with a new key, agree? And reinstall it using a bootable USB stick loaded with the latest ISO of Windows. I think it's hard for Windows 10 to go from a 2015 version to a 2018 version in one fell scoop (just guessing).

Luckily I have nothing of importance on this laptop.

RL

On Friday, October 12, 2018 at 11:06:37 PM UTC+8, RayLopez99 wrote:
On Wednesday, October 10, 2018 at 5:32:06 PM UTC+8, Flasherly wrote:
On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 01:25:00 -0700 (PDT), RayLopez99
wrote:

I decided today to upgrade it back to Windows 10. So I used a USB
hard drive to restore the Macrium image file from several years ago.
Much to my disappointment, for unknown reasons, though I had plenty of
HD space, the Macrium program said (something like): 'no more space on
target' and exited with an error.

-
ZAP!

As far as I got -- Poor Testing procedures. I'm heavily into binary
streaming and keep two, sometimes three generations of backup images;-
FOUR when testing software of building, images which -always- need be
first Verified before shuffling the last-out first-in order of
successive backups.

OK I got another one for you. On a 'fast' (for the Philippines) 6 Mbps connection, I am upgrading using Windows 10 built-in Windows Upgrade from the 2015 flavor of Windows 10 to this year's flavor (I think called version 1803, yes "Feature Upgrade to Windows 10, version 1803")

What happens is that when the program is 99% downloaded, I get an error message saying something like 'error: could not complete the upgrade'. Then, when I try and "Retry", it starts from 0% not 99% (very dumb of it, you'd think their download manager was smarter than that but no).

Here is what I found out using WinVer: I have the Windows 10 Home Edition for a 64 bit machine. Windows 10 10.0.10240 (build 10240 from 2015)

But it's not the latest. here is a list of build numbers:

Windows 10 Windows 10 (1809) 10.0.17763
Windows 10 (1803) 10.0.17134
Windows 10 (1709) 10.0.16299
Windows 10 (1703) 10.0.15063
Windows 10 (1607) 10.0.14393
Windows 10 (1511) 10.0.10586
Windows 10 10.0.10240

I have the last one, but I should have a later one.

For the last two days all kinds of files have been downloaded, at 6 Mbps, but again, nothing doing, error message (except for the Windows Defender virus files, which are current).

I think it's because this PC image file of Windows 10 is from 2015 and thus "too far behind" to update properly.

Annoying. But Windows 10 does work.

Any help appreciated.

RL