Old October 10th 18, 10:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Mike[_33_]

Default Windows 10 fails to boot, then it reboots, bizarre self-fix

On 10/10/2018 10:27 AM, Paul wrote:

To fix "inaccessible boot device", you need to set
the StartOverride key to 0 from the regular value
of 3. When I tried this on 1803, it didn't work,
which means the damn recipe has changed again.

I had to use an old bounce technique to quickly
get it running again. It just means moving the
drive to another kind of storage port. I used
a SATA to IDE adapter for the SATA SSD and plugged
it into the IDE cable, and Windows 10 booted right
up. Then, I could go into Device Manager and delete
the two Code 10 entries so Windows would rediscover
the SATA ports that were using the wrong driver.
Then, when I moved the SSD back to a SATA port,
it worked again.

This info might come in handy in the future.

Please be more descriptive about the "code 10"
entries.

I have also tested in Windows 10, the removal of the
ENUM key in CurrentControlSet, and Windows 10 survived
that and booted up while re-discovering all the hardware.

I've got a bunch of currentcontrolset keys.
Which one are we talking about here?