Old May 24th 09, 02:47 AM posted to comp.arch.storage
gordo999

Default SATA optical drive problems with DMA/PIO transfer

memory between 640K and 1 meg just as the Si3112 does.

Are you sure that the modern PCI device will have such hardcoded memory region? PCI devices use configurable memory apertures.

I made a mistake with the Si3112 memory...it's at FEAFFC00. However,
the slot at A0000-BFFFF is occupied by the NVidia AGP card, the
processor to AGP controller and the PCI bus. I have seen no evidence
of conflict other than my SATA drive not reading, but I do have USB
issues with flash cards (thumb drives) and NVidia shares an IRQ with
one of the USB controllers.

Can you connect the SATA DVD to the usual south bridge controller? will there be any speed difference?

I don't understand your question. I have two SATA connectors directly
on my motherboard and the drive requires a SATA connector. I don't
seewhere else I could connect it as it has only a SATA connector.