Old July 30th 03, 12:09 PM
Stephen Howard

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 17:27:23 GMT, "John" wrote:

Is there a way to add password protection to a hard drive or certain folders
on a hard drive? Or are there certain types of hard drives that come with
password protection built-in?

I use a computer shared with others on which I need to protect a large
number of files. I have thought of adding another hard drive just for my
use if I can find a way to secure it. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's a software and a hardware approach.

You can use a number of programs that will encrypt/hide the data.

Scramdisk is one, which sets up 'containers' on your hard drive.
Blowfish Advanced CS is a file encryption that can be set up to run
from job or batch files.
http://www.bsn.ch/Lasse/bfacs.htm

Blowfish is freeware, not sure if Scramdisk still is.

Or you could opt for a removeable hard drive caddy. I use these things
on my machine for backing up data to. You can pick up small hard
drives ( 3 or 4 Gb ) for next to nothing, and a decent caddy comes in
at less than £20 ( even cheaper on Ebay ).
Simply format the drive as an extended partition and use it for all
your sensitive data - pull it out when not required.

Regards,

www.shwoodwind.co.uk