Old November 26th 04, 04:10 PM
Andrew Kam

I do have it seems like a S-Video port. Are they dual way (i.e. input and
output)?

--

Cheers!

Andrew Kam
Phone (24hrs): +65 98777625
MSN & Email:

"deimos" wrote in message
Andrew Kam wrote:
Hi all
Looking to record some of my old Hi-8 videos onto VCD. I've bought the
VCD writer, and think I may have purchased the incorrect video card
(FX5200) because I don't see any input plug for me to insert my cables
into.
Anyone know whether I'm looking at the incorrect bit or whether I need
to purchase a new Nvidia???
(The empty port shows S/P out)

--

Cheers!
Andrew Kam

It has to be VIVO compatible, normally labeled as the Personal Cinema. And
if there's not a breakout box (as with the P.C.), then it's just a dual
way S-Video jack that uses a converter plug for composite input.

The breakout box usually supports RF, composite, S-Video, stereo RCA and
mini RCA audio in. For cards with just the S-Video jack, you'll need a
simple RCA-to-Mini(3.5mm) adapater from any a/v accessory store.

If you're really serious about video capture, you might consider a much
better capture solution. A 10-bit capture card (Hauppauge and several
others make them as well as HDTV capture) or an AV module is far better.

An AV converter plugs into your firewire port and does a lot of automatic
conversion of any source to DV format. Everything is then stored natively
in DV format (editing too), then you can frameserv or output to a standard
format (MPEG, AVI container).

http://www.hauppauge.com/Pages/products/data_hd.html
http://www.ati.com/products/hdtvwonder/index.html
http://www.canopus.us/US/products/AD...pm_advc-50.asp
http://www.adstech.com/products/API_...sp?pid=API-550

Firewire ports and PCI cards are as ubiquitous as NIC's are today, so that
isn't a major obstacle and transfer is very much faster than USB. DV video
is also something like 26mbits/s for NTSC D1, so it's visually lossless
while getting excellent compression compared to full frames.