Old December 18th 16, 06:04 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Lars Bonnesen

Default ST4000NM0035 vs ST4000NM0033

Yeah - the density is higher, so the internal speed is therefor also higher.

1 platter less, lighter and cheaper, but maybe it has better bearings

Actually I would imagine that one platter less should make it slower...

Maybe I should stick to the older one?

Regards, Lars.

"Paul" wrote in message news
Lars Bonnesen wrote:
For at 4 TB drive sitting internally in a SuperMicro server as an
ESX-test-/develserver, would you prefer the newer Seagate ST4000NM0035
over ST4000NM0033?

I can see that the newer one are having a slightly faster theoretically
internal speed, but otherwise they look quite the same. Are the newer ones
worth the price difference?

Regards, Lars.

ST4000NM0033 is 5 platter, 10 head. 175MB/sec OD
ST4000NM0035 is 4 platter, 7 head. 205MB/sec OD --- higher areal
density

http://www.seagate.com/www-content/p...100671511f.pdf
http://www.seagate.com/www-content/p...100793636c.pdf

The '35 is 1 inch high.
The '33 is 1 inch high.

Both are 512n.

The 7 head drive will have 8 heads, but one head
will be ignored. Having two heads on each platter
balances the forces on the spindle (to support all
compass points as mounting options).

StorageReview has pictures of the 33, but nothing on 35 that I could find.

http://www.storagereview.com/seagate...n_e s3_review

'33 has some failures. One here at 3 months.

'35 has no reviews yet by customers.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...1Z4-002P-00141

The newer one should actually be cheaper, if all that
mattered was platter and head count. But you know there is
more to it than that. Both drives mysteriously weigh the
same amount. So the '35 has more metal in the chassis... or
something.

Paul