Old September 3rd 04, 02:32 AM
P2B

R. J. Sutherland wrote:

In " bios updates", Ken wrote:

? I used Windows NT4 for 3 years whithout any krasch or instability.

Yeah, me too. I might have stayed with it yet if had only been updated to
support USB. It was the last of its kind, written mainly by people who actually
knew what they were doing (ie. non-Microsofties). Stability has declined with
Win2k and XP as typical MS featureism, glitz and tweeness has taken over. sigh
(And I'll politely refrain from saying anything at all about Windows File
Protection...!)

I was almost ready to give up on NT4 for the same reason, then I found a
USB driver on Dell's FTP site - it doesn't support all devices, but does
the job for me.

However, I'll have to bite the bullet soon - IIRC M$ plan to cease
releasing security patches for NT4 early next year. I'm not looking
forward to the migration as I've been running XP Pro on my test machine
(identical hardware to my main system) and stability has not been it's
strong suit...

P2B