Old February 13th 15, 02:37 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage,comp.sys.mac.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default Backblaze dumps hard drive data

On 02/12/2015 10:14 PM, cjt wrote:

https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-data-feb2015/

(H/T Josh Centers at TidBITS.)

Ooh, a new one. What about other companies beside Backblaze? I'd like to
see various reports from others.

I have not seen anything. I guess these others are cowards. Or rather
Backblaze if one of the very few non-cowards that dare naming names.

One of the "nice" side-effects of litigation cultu You do not get
critically neded data anymore, because somebody could object...

I'd be a lot more interested in seeing reliability data of drives
operated within their specs.

One of the advantages of Backblaze's data is that it gives some clues
concerning the longevity of "desktop" drives (which Seagate, for
example, says are intended for 8/5 operation rather than 24/7 operation)
when they are operated 24/7. I don't know about others, but our (home)
computers are hardly ever switched off: they may sleep or hibernate, but
my guess is that the hard disks are spinning a lot longer than 8/5.

Perce