Old November 1st 04, 01:19 AM
David Maynard

James Hanley wrote:

"Michael Brown" wrote in message ...

James Hanley wrote:

"Adam Webb" wrote in message
. ..

it seems to me that nobody needs a high fsb. since they could just
push the multiplier really high.

you cant push the multiplier high because its locked on most modern
CPU's

nobody on an overclocking forum should be saying
"oh no, the multiplier is locked, what am I going to do"
Just like no technician is going to say, oh no, the file is 'hidden'
what am I going to do.

Better analogy: the technician saying "oh no, someone has wiped the disk
then turned it into slag in a blast furnace, what am I going to do?". Given
that people have spent close to 6 years trying to unlock Intel CPUs (no
success) and about 1 year trying to unlock locked AMD chips (no success),

6 years? - but there are loads of articles on unlocking AMD chips, i'm
sure I think I saw one for the AMD XP 1500+, that's less than 6 years
old isn't it?

You didn't pay attention to what he wrote. The 6 years was with regard to
Intel processors and he said "about 1 year" with respect to AMD processors.

The general view is
that both companies are using fuses inside the die, which can't be altered
once set.

*******s.

It all started when unscrupulous resellers simply remarked lower speed
chips to higher speed ones so they could profit by selling cheap processors
at the higher price.

So how can anybody overclock? Just by upping the FSB to whatever the
mobo supports?

Correct. Except that Intel has now tried to lock the FSB.

I suppose that a CPU will have a built in multiplier at a fixed value,
and will assume a certain FSB speed. So if the FSB is lower then it's
underclocked. If it's higher then it's overclocked.

Correct

Or does it not
even derive its clock by multiplying the FSB clock?

It has no other choice.

Would most people have the FSB at the highest setting suported anyway,
and they'd have a CPU that supports it, so how would they overclock?
(they cna't up the FSB clock because it's already on the highest, and
they can't up the multiplier because it's properly locked)

That's why overclockerr's PICK the best processor to overclock, and a
motherboard that provides the ability to do so.

snip