Old January 14th 18, 11:39 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.windows7.general,alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.comp.periphs.keyboard
T[_6_]

Default Unicomp Model-M a disaster

On 01/12/2018 08:05 PM, B00ze wrote:
Good day all.

I love the Model M keyboard, and have several PS/2 ones. I also have 2
Unicomp USB Model M's. Now, I haven't tried the other one of those that
I have (without Windows Keys) but the one I am using now is a DISASTER!
I do not know what they did with their USB controller, but it is
horrible. When I boot the PC, if I press any key too quickly (e.g. if I
do not wait 5 seconds) then the keyboard will lock-up. It makes it hard
to enter the BIOS. And if I put the computer to sleep, then 1/3rd to
2/3rds of the time, when I wake it with the keyboard, the keyboard
freezes. It gets weirder; when I wake the computer with the keyboard, I
can hear Windows "re-discover" the keyboard (you can hear the new USB
device sound,) the NumLock light does not turn back on until that sound
plays, but more often than not, the keyboard doesn't re-load properly
and becomes unusable.

Anyone have a Unicomp USB keyboard? How does it work for you?

I'm already thinking of getting a Mechanical Keyboard, but haven't found
one that LOOKS like the Model-M (i.e. BIG).

Thank you.
Best Regards,

Hi Booze,

I sell them and own one myself. I "ADORE" them.

The only issues I have come across is the spring under the space bar
on two units I sold.

A quick call to Unicomp at 859-233-2130 got both of them fixed.

It sounds like you got a bad unit. Call Unicomp. They will
make it right for you.

I am a very fast typist. I am a good 50% faster typing on a
Unicomp as it was meant to emulate the IBM Selectric typewriter.

Some of the el-cheap-o keyboards I have to use at customer
sites drive me around the bend. You can't tell one key
apart from another and you can't tell when you have depressed
a key. I wind up having to watch every key I press. It
is a pain in the neck (not my "exact" word) and severely
slows me down. Laptops are the worst.

So call Unicomp and get yours fixed and then start enjoying
using a decent keyboard for a change!

:-)

-T