Old February 16th 06, 09:50 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia

Default GeForce 6200[64bit version] 128mb/ Need Correct Driver , PleaseHelp?

Theodore Baldwin Boothe III wrote:
On Mon, 13 Feb 2006 14:42:13 -0600, deimos
wrote:

81.95 and 81Theodore Baldwin Boothe III wrote:
Geforce 6200 64-bit 128mb version made by PNY.

I need the correct driver version to make this video card STABLE and
as fast as possible.
I have tried the 81.94 and upgraded to 81.98 but this has made things
much worse. I tried to downgrade back to 81.94 but it didn't help at
all.

Anyone know a KNOWN driver that would work well with this card?

Also, If I do downgrade a driver, is their something special I am
suppose to do in order to make the downgrade take effect? If so,
please explain?

Signed,
Completely lost and desperate....

81.95 and 81.98 are the latest official drivers. You shouldn't have ANY
problems running either of them at all on a GF6 series card. This
points to a problem with your system and changing drivers won't
necessarily help. Check your motherboard chipset drivers, then check
for resource conflicts or known glitches with your motherboard/agp
controller implementation.

Where would I look to see the MB Chipset driver version I have?
Also how would I check for 'glitches' in the mb/agp controller
implementation?

very confused at this point...

First identify your motherboard manufacturer (Asus, MSI, Epox, Gigabyte,
Intel, etc). If you open your case, this should be clearly visible as a
silkscreen label some place on the board. Usually towards the RAM slots
or down by the CMOS battery.

Next, determine the model and chipset of the board. If it doesn't say
so on the motherboard (or the heatsink covering the Northbridge chip in
the middle), then run the System Information Utility (Start Menu
Accessories System Tools System Information) and it should give you
the model listed as "System Model" under the Summary. Also the
manufacturer will be identified too.

From there you can go to the manufacturer's website and look for an
appropriate chipset driver (software that controls your motherboard's IO
capabilities and how it communicates to other hardware).

Failing this, you can always look for a generic chipset driver that
works for similar boards. For example, I have an Asus A7N8X-E board
that has the NForce 2 chipset. I don't have to use the Asus drivers
since NVIDIA makes drivers for all NForce 2 motherboards (Forceware) as
well. In this case, my chipset would be an NForce 2 (specifically an
NForce 2 Ultra 400 SPP/MCP-T).

To find out if there are any outstanding issues with your board or
incompatible hardware, do some basic research on the model and chipset
type. Check popular motherboard forums (like www.amdmb.com) and look
for brand specific forums. See if anyone else has known issues with it
and how to resolve them.

Example: I used to have a IWill KK266 motherboard. It was based on a
VIA KT133a chipset and used VIA 4-in-1 (now Hyperion) drivers. Little
did I know that there was a obscure glitch known as the "MWQ bug",
whereby if I didn't install a specific set of older drivers that
contained a fix for it (by setting a value in the device registry), ALL
3d games and applications would lock up soon after launch and cause a
BSOD. The fix was to install an older set of VIA 4-in-1 drivers that
patched a value in the device driver (register 55) and allowed the AGP
"gart" driver to function normally. I could then upgrade to newer
drivers once the fix was in place. Alternatively I could do this
manually with an obscure piece of software.

Yes, diagnosing things can be hell.