Old November 10th 13, 04:17 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Flasherly[_2_]

Default Can ATX PSU blow the mainboard?

On Sat, 9 Nov 2013 18:31:53 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Bad capacitors do not cause destructive voltages. If you knew
otherwise, then you posted specifications and numbers to say so. You
don't for one good reason. That damage is not possible. And spec
numbers contradict those denials.

ATX specifications define protection ... with numbers ... that say
why a PSU (properly designed) will not harm drives. If you know
otherwise, then define the disk drive part put at risk. And provide
numbers from datasheets that define why that part is damaged. Good
luck.

PSUs contains circuits to prevent electronics damage long before the
IBM PC even existed. Long an industry standard.

--
That's certainly within reason, as well supportive of definable
standards within electrical laws governing them. However, you've went

Expensive as in and for oh-wells.

OK. To be fair to you, I don't know and shouldn't have claimed with
certitude -- only -- that capacitors on the MB are the culprits. When
the MB in question did, however, eat PS units on a regular basis.

.... Probably went through three or four PS units over its course of
usage - a long one, with the problem surfacing, I'd estimate, at a
halfway point of its life. Aberant hard & software behavior had also
surfaced, also in conjunction, when a supplementary diet of power
supplies were provided, on average for a yearly basis, within some
subsequent, general improvement of a condition loosely classifable
for "coaxing it along."

As mentioned, I put in an industrial, server-grade PS on my last-ditch
attempt to revive the MB, whereupon it literally smoked it.

OK. So it wasn't capacitors, which just fine if you say so.

.... As I can't say, conversely, I'm well enough versed, otherwise, in
testing micro-electronics. I'd be, more correctly to back up and
revise my statement, "grasping" at a known period when several MBs
manufacturers equipped their products with bad capacitors - within the
same timeframe incident to when I purchased that particular ASUS MB.
As for the general hypothesis, then, I advanced: PSupply units are
impervious, tell me again you believe it. A good joke is never out of
place.