Old May 11th 05, 06:29 AM
Pelysma

"Michael C" wrote in message
[snip]
I suspect that means that it can be installed on a completely new machine
and will activate ok. Is that true?

Microsoft and the product activation process will not prevent this, although
it would be a violation of your EULA. In many cases the installation method
for Windows on a brand-name computer will have been doctored -- keyed to the
BIOS, for example -- so that it can't be installed on a different machine at
all. I certainly wouldn't count on transferring Windows from your Compaq to
a whole new system. As a user, I wouldn't expect this to be acceptable,
either.

Microsoft's rules are hazy, but so are mine. My hazy rules say that, if
it's reasonable and honest, nobody will be coming after me for it. My hazy
rules say that, if I replace my whole computer a piece or two at a time over
a couple of years while using it continuously for the same purposes, it's
still the same computer. (At fifty, I'm not using many of the same body
cells I had as a kid, either.) And anybody who knows the business knows
that upgrading the processor usually means upgrading motherboard and memory
as well. It seems pretty doubtful that this kind of upgrade will draw a
complaint.

Microsoft is very clear about retail boxed versions: you can install it on
another computer as long as you remove it from the first. It's much less
clear about OEM, and the clearest part is that Dell isn't in the business of
supporting software on a computer with no Dell parts left in it, while
Microsoft isn't interested in solving problems on a copy of Windows Dell
sold. You can probably activate it, but it will be an orphan.

And Windows Update will still run, no questions asked. Why? Because of the
recent assault of malware. A system not updated because the user was afraid
to call Microsoft is a festering place for bad things. Also, a customer
badgered or threatened is a former customer.

Remember the question from Jurassic Park? People spent all this time
finding out if they COULD, but never put a moment's thought into whether
they SHOULD. Well, you probably could install an OEM copy of Windows on
practically anything. Should you? I'm not too clear on that. Suppose you
bought a machine with OEM Windows XP Home on it, and bought a retail upgrade
to XP Pro. Is it now an OEM or a retail installation? Maybe you can then
use that upgrade to upgrade another machine from Home to Pro as long as you
revert the first one.

Common sense goes a long way, even with Microsoft.

--
P.