Old February 18th 04, 11:14 PM
Justin Thyme

"ray" wrote in message
news:403134cf.1378231@news-server...
windows 98
brand new modem
i hit connect and cant get a daltone.....
i hit dial in again and and then i get a connection
any body seen this before??
if i switch the connector over to the phone socket...[this lil sucker
has phone and line sockets] it connects sometimes better than the the
line socket...is this a faulty modem or just me going nuts
thanks in advance for your help and advice

When it says no dialtone, do you hear a dialtone from the speaker? Have you
tried disabling dialtone detection?
I've found that in some areas the telstra dialtones must be a bit off - I
had a USR modem that worked perfectly, moved across town to another exchange
and it wouldn't detect dialtone. Disable dialtone detection and it was back
working sweet again. I frequently have to "fix" computers that can't get
dialtone - problem seems to affect all makes and models of modems randomly -
eg in some areas of town a Netcomm can't detect, but a Swann will. Other
areas a Swann won't detect dialtone but a Netcomm will. I haven't
encountered one brand that is 100% reliable at detecting dialtones.