Old March 9th 20, 02:56 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Norm Why[_2_]

Default Getting there

The last two computers I built up, I didn't change the
flash version on them. They already seemed to be working fine.

The flasher program can compare the release number scheme, to
what is already in the flash chip. Sometimes a flash fails,
because you're using the wrong family of chip image, and there is
some sort of basic check it does for sanity. With no guarantees
that such a check works properly, but it is one more check before
the operation goes forward. There's a field down near the end
of the ROM image it's using to check. Occasionally, it takes
a special version of the flasher program, to "flash backwards"
and restore an older version to the motherboard.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

I've found many useful BIOS settings. USB keyboard is enabled by default
so I enabled USB mouse in BIOS. There is a BIOS setting to select display;
PCI VGA or PCIe graphics. I selected the latter and now I no longer need
the 1600x900 VGA monitor. PCIe graphics is a boon for Win10, which will
not work with PCI VGA. Win10 boots but has problems not yet resolved. F8
safe mode may be enabled, I don't remember.

A bootable Win10 USB stick may or may not work; that is trial and error. I
would need to buy a suitable USB thumb drive and create the bootable Win10
USB stick in the library which has reliable WiFi.

As soon as possible, I need to install all Gigabyte device drives on my
Win10. Being correctly configured for the new hardware would make my Win10
boot reliably.

Later.

I managed to get into Win10 safe mode, somehow. I started running Gigabyte
driver install programs. When reboot could not be avoided, I rebooted into
Win10 and got the window for password. Now I am continuing with this
approach, before I install a WiFi dongle.

Not all Gigabyte utilities installed. I'll need the compatibility wizard for
Vista,

WiFi dongle plugged in. Updating and housekeeping. BIOS not yet updated.
Update is a real troubling mess. I seem to have F10 which means v1.0 BIOS.
I'll need to understand what v2.0 resolves. BIOS is only important at
bootup. But the BIOS has a lot of smart features.

Still downloading and housekeeping. My new GA-EP45-DS3L works. Q9650 and 8GB
RAM works. Win10 works. GTX950 works. MX330-X works. Some things that do
not work may require reinstallation. This is the end of the story, 'not with
a bang but with a whimper.