Old November 13th 08, 08:15 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
- Bobb -

Default Hard drive partitions not recognised in computer

"JD Francis" wrote in message
On Nov 3, 1:19 pm, Ben Myers wrote:
JD Francis wrote:
I have an HP Compaq D310 Desktop, and recently purchased a Hitachi
Deskstar T7K250. When this hard drive is in the computer and I try to
run the Windows XP Professional setup CD, it does not recognise any of
the partitions and is unable to modify the disk in any way. When I
connect the drive to another computer via a USB cable and run the
setup, it can detect all the drive partitions and modify them.

Is there a way to get this hard drive working for Windows in my
computer?

You purchased a used drive if it already had partitions on it. Wipe the
hard drive clean with CopyWipe (free), and try again. The existing
partitions are causing some confusion... Ben Myers

I already completely wiped it with the manufacturer's disk utility
program, but this made no difference to the Windows XP Professional
CD. I should probably add, that using a Windows XP Home CD, I am able
to install the operating system on the NTFS partition, which it
recognises, with no problems.

So it was a used drive?
Came from Windows environment ? ( vs. Unix,VMS, etc)
What do you mean by "completely wiped it" ?
Reformatted ?
If works as secondary drive, there the primary boot area is not used.
Did you look at disk structure when installing XP Home ?
Were there more than one partition ?
Were you able to delete existing partitions ?
Might it be you installed XP home to second partition?
So are you now all set, or still trying to install XP Pro
Can you install XP Pro NOW ( with XP home on there)