Old May 5th 04, 04:30 PM
Tiny Tim

JD wrote:
There are problems with the Presario 700 Series overheating. This
gets worse when the extra memory is added. It simply causes the
machine to crash all the time.

HP/Compaq are aware of this, as are several memory chip
manufacturers. Which is why you can't even buy proper Compaq branded
memory for this device.

I have one myself, I'm very dissapointed in Compaq's support on this
laptop. I now have to buy a new laptop, less than two years after
buying the Compaq Presario. Just because I need more memory. Not fair
at all!

I see there is a class action lawsuit going for Toshiba, for doing
something similar to their customers. I wish the same would happen to
Compaq.

Sorry for the bad news, but if you do a search on google - groups,
then you will see the problem is widespread.

JD

Cheers for that. The laptop in question has the Duron 900 processor so
hopefully is not as prone to overheating as the higher spec models.

I've managed to track down what I believe is the right memory on the Crucial
website and left it to the laptop owner to phone Crucial herself and confirm
the facts before going ahead with the upgrade.

Tim :-)