Old May 5th 04, 10:48 AM
Tiny Tim

Default Compaq Presario 700UK memory questions

I was trying to troubleshoot a friend's Compaq Presario 700UK notebook at
the weekend. Apart from needing 44 Critical Windows Updates, 22 Windows
Updates and 5 Driver Updates I also noticed that it was a bit light on
memory for running Win XP Home.

Looking at My Computer Properties at appeared to have only 96MB, although
according to the blurb for the machine it has 128MB base memory. I assume
that 32MB is given over to shared video memory but the blurb on the Compaq
website makes no mention of shared video memory. Does anyone know why only
96MB is reported? Is there a way to adjust the amount of shared memory, if
that is the reason?

I tried the Crucial and Kingston memory configurators to see what it would
cost to add some more and neither could offer a solution. Does anyone know
how/where to obtain an extra 128MB or 256MB stick of RAM in the UK for this
model? Alternatively, does anyone know the memory spec for this machine as I
have a couple of old 128MB sticks left from previous Dell Inspiron memory
upgrades and wonder if that might work.

My friends live 90 miles away so it is tricky for me to provide much help
but at the moment they are thinking of going to PC World (God forbid!) to
get advice and a memory upgrade and I'd rather save them from that
experience if possible.

TIA if you can help.

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Please remove leading underscore to reply by email.