Old January 20th 19, 08:12 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking.amd
Paul[_28_]

Default What B450 MB for ryzen 2200g + 2x4GB kingston hiperx predator?

MaxTheFast wrote:
Hi all,
I'm building a desktop pc with amd ryzen 2200g. I was going to buy a MSI B450-a pro MB so I had already bought a 2x4GB kit kingston hiperx predator @3200mhz cl16 ram (code HX432C16PB3K2/8) that would has been ok for that MSI; I know it's weird to get RAM for 1^ and then MB but that's my actual situation. Now I'm pointing to other MBs because that MSI has gone out of my budget, I could wait its price goes down but there're 30 days to give RAM back if it's DOA or not compatible and I can't test it anyhow right now.

I know 2200g works @2993MHz and my goal is to make that RAM work @3200mhz stably without any problem in the long period so I'll overclock it and I'm looking for a such good and capable MB. The following MBs are my best deals for price right now:
- ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS (90MB0YN0-M0EAY0)
- asrock b450 pro4 (90-MXB8B0-A0UAYZ)
- asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4 (90-MXB8A0-A0UAYZ)

My main concern is firstly about RAM compatibility because mine isn't listed anywhere in QVLs tough we can find something similar for each MB:
- MSI B450-a pro
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/supp...support-mem-13 (then choose 2200g)
HX432C16PB3K2/32 - kit 2x16GB @3200 cl16
- ASUS PRIME B450-PLUS
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/m...ocessors.pd f
HX432C16PB3K2/16 - kit 2x8GB @3200 cl16
- asrock b450 pro4
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/B450%2...dex.asp#Memory
HX430C15PB3K2/16 - kit 2x8GB @3000 cl15
- asrock Fatal1ty B450 Gaming K4
https://www.asrock.com/mb/AMD/Fatal1...dex.asp#Memory
as asrock b450 pro4
My second concern is if RAM will work @3200mhz with those MBs and if they'll do a good job, I mean keeping system stably.

What can you suggest? Are you experienced in those configurations?

I won't research this, but I'll offer these observations.

1) Select a company that will release a good quality BIOS.
Asus or MSI or Gigabyte etc. After seeing more than one
questionable call by Asrock, I can't promote them. They
make nice hardware, but their BIOS teams are absent minded.

2) If the RAM appears on *any ones* QVL, it should work on
another motherboard having the same computing device. So if
the MSI listed your RAM exact model, I wouldn't be super-concerned
it's an "Intel only" or something.

As for the RAM speed, really, who gives a rats ass :-) Sorry,
but the RAM I got here, doesn't run at the rated speed,
and I really don't notice. The only time it might have
made a difference, is running 7ZIP ultra compression. When
you run the RAM at a slightly lower clock, the CAS will
be bumped down proportionally.

And you want two sticks, rather than four. That reduces
bus loading, and leads to less disappointment concerning
the final settings. That's probably why my RAM had to be
turned down, is all slots are full on the machine, and
it simply isn't stable turned up. However, on my system,
the XMP worked first time and at the rated speed. But
adding a second set of RAM, XMP doesn't work for four sticks,
and the setup would not work at exactly the same speed.
A couple adjustments and I can run Prime for hours, so
no errors. And it computes just fine.

The measured (Streams) bandwidth is no-where near the
theoretical, and on my particular platform, bus efficiency
is around 25%.

It's really a whole lot of fuss about nothing. Plug it in.
Try the rated values. If it doesn't work, turn it down
and move on. Don't forget to run the various tests before
using it for stuff.

A good BIOS should be able to sort the RAM values. The
"rating" on your RAM stick, might not be encoded in the
sticks, and you could be expected to enter the values
manually. For enthusiast RAM, companies use slower settings
in the table, to "guarantee" the RAM runs without crashing
before you can access the BIOS. Then you can set it to
the rated value and voltage. For systems which support
XMP, you enter the BIOS and enable XMP, and the hard work
is done for you. But if you don't have an XMP platform,
it's not that hard to dial it in.

Paul