Old October 20th 09, 02:32 PM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
Ben Myers[_2_]

Default Power supplies

HH wrote:
Gudday all,
I recently purchased a Compaq CQ5110F desktop. I did so for two
reasons. First, PC Mag gave it an Editor's Choice tag for entry level
desktops and two, I have a certain brand loyalty, having worked for
Compaq tech support for 6 years.
The unit also seemed to offer a lot for the modest $339 price from New
Egg. Now the reason for this post. Many have complained on here about
the crappy Bestec PSs used by compaq, Dell, et al and, I agree. They are
crap. Lo and behold, when I opened the 5510 case to replace the expected
Bestec, I find a proper LG power supply!
Nice surprise. I went ahead and installed a 500-watt Thermaltake PS
because the Geforce card I wanted to use required a minimum 400 watter.
The LG was only 300 and a bit skimpy on the 18v rails.
Alas, my Dell Inspron 530S has a crap 250-watt Bestec in it. Any
suggestions for a suitable replacement? Ben? Lotta watts not important,
I just want to get a reliable PS in there before the Bestec fries the MB.

TIA

If the Inspiron 530S uses a Bestec with a non-standard form factor, I am
at a loss as to what to recommend. If it had standard dimensions (which
it does not), there would be plenty of choices among Antec, Thermaltake,
PC Power & Cooling, etc. All you can do is measure the physical
dimensions of the power supply and the spacing of the mounting screws
and see if another OEM manufacturer makes one of the same shape and
size. Try PC Power & Cooling. Expensive, but they may already have
seized on a business opportunity here.

The 530S chassis is very cheaply made, far more so than the earlier and
much-maligned Mitac cases used by the Dell Dimension 2400-etc. And also
by HPaq, with different front plastic bezel. (Hard drive mounting trays
swap easily between the two.)... Ben Myers