Old August 16th 09, 08:31 AM posted to alt.sys.pc-clone.compaq
William R. Walsh

Default Compaq Presairo SR2050NX Motherboard died

Hi!

Compaq Presairo SR2050NX Motherboard died, and e-bay had a
RC410-M rev:1.1 listed for $34 US Dollars...

Sounds like it worked out better for you. I had someone come to me with an
S4020WM system that died during a particularly nasty power failure/recovery
cycle. They wanted to save it, so I bought a motherboard from eBay and the
seller sent it in a posterboard-thick box with no padding. That board never
had a chance.

I saved the case since I liked the design and thought it seemed well made,
put a HiPro 350 watt power supply in it and a Biostar P4M900-M4 motherboard
in there as well. I have no shortage of S478 processors kicking around, so a
2.53GHz Celeron topped things off.

I tested the Bestec Power supply (Model ATX-300-12z Rev.:CDR S/N
0608S2029089) not a stitch of voltage on the P7 plug. Looking over the
motherboard carefully I found only one bulging cap near the end of the
Video card slot.

Odd, I thought the Bestec 300W supplies were better, and at least had
overvoltage protection in place. The earlier 230/250 watt units did not.
I've never lost one of the 300 watt units. You could do worse, although the
pictured supply didn't blow anything up:

http://greyghost.mooo.com/psuthoughts/

using Bestec and Delta power supplies without any circuit protection.

Delta and Bestec aren't in even remotely the same league. Delta produces
high quality power supplies and has done so for years. I don't think that
Bestec even has a web site.

So far, I haven't seen a Delta supply come with any Dell product outside of
a laptop. The supplies that I've seen were made by Lite-On or Astec Custom
Power. Lite-On, despite their suspiciously cheap products, actually seems to
do a pretty good job.

William