Old March 29th 18, 05:47 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
GlowingBlueMist[_9_]

Default troubleshootting question about keyboard

On 3/28/2018 11:23 PM, Yes wrote:
I have a MS ergonomic keyboard (PS/2) I've been using for quite a few
years now. Until a few days ago, it worked as expected. However, now
the OS (Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit) does not recognize it. I have not changed
my hardware nor have I added/removed any software. My USB mouse works.

When I enter BIOS during the boot up procedures, the keyboard works. I
can move around BIOS. I searched my BIOS settings looking for legacy
devices and did not find anything.

Once my OS starts, the keyboard is not seen. For example, I've tried
typing, function keys, using Ctrl+, and so on. Nothing happens.

What I've done so far:
1. use Device Manager to remove and then re-install the driver
2. unplugged the keyboard, turned off the pc, booted up, shut down,
plug the keyboard back in and boot up
3. scavenge a PS/2 keyboard from another computer to see if that
would work. It did not.

Is the problem hardware related? If so, the mobo or the keyboard?

I've thought about buying a PS/2 to USB adapter to use for the
keyboard, but I don't know if that would work. I'd like to keep using
the existing keyboard (the ergonomic design does make a difference to
me) if the problem is with the PS/2 connector on the mobo. But if the
pc recognizes the keyboard (when I'm in BIOS), it doesn't seem like
it's the mobo PS/2 connector.

FWIW, I've connected a wireless keyboard from my other pc till I get
this problem fixed.

Thanks,

John

Visit a local thrift shop and purchase an old PS/2 keyboard to test
with. In my neighborhood used keyboards can be had from 2.99 on up at
the two thrift shops that I visit, Habitat for Humanity and Goodwill.
If it works properly then it is time to look into your problem keyboard.
It could be something as simple as a bent pin on the plug to broken
connection where the wire goes into the plug to actual wiring problems
in the keyboard.

Since you are working with a USB wireless keyboard for now if the
replacement keyboard works from a thrift shop I would personally try to
swap keyboard cables. A little soldering or if you are extremely lucky
a matching plug at the keyboard end and you might be back in business.
If swapping the keyboard cable does not fix things it sounds like time
to visit Ebay and see if you can find the same keyboard on the cheap or
else purchase something modern in the same format.