Old June 17th 04, 11:14 PM
Jure Sah

Default CYRIX ...

Hello,

I am the perhaps very troubled, owner of a Cyrix system.

The old config had 32 megs of EDO ram, a decent motherboard and a broken
cooling fan.

Considering the broken fan, and the fact that the system was severely
out of order, I have tried to rebuild the system.

However, stroke of bad luck #1, the CMOS battery had died. Ok problem
quickly sorted, replaced it with a one from a functioning system.
Managed to boot to Windows 98 but nothing happened beyond that. =P

I tried reinstalling the system and, lucky me, I even got a blue screen
of death. After some investigation (considering the fact that I knew it
was a memory related problem from experience), I noticed the last EDO
slot was not very firm (stroke of bad luck #2), BIOS could count all the
memory but it wasn't really in there. Problem quickly fixed, I replaced
the twin sets of 16 MB chips with a pair mamoth 64 MB chips that I had
inherited from a system that need not have as much memory.

After a complete delete and reinstall, the system had about 1/2 of blue
screens less. The system was intended as a webtv (dailup and browser
only), alas I couldn't keep the system stable enough not to get a long
series of errors in the kernel after running either the browser or the
dailer.

I have configured all the memory configs in BIOS to maximum compatibilty
to no avail.

I have read up on the issue via google and while most people have
noticed that the problem is: 1. Caused by improper power supply or, 2.
Too high temperature. And while I can pretend it is not very obvious, it
is true that it's not actualy documented anywhere, but is Thermal
Throttling supported by Cyrix????

I would like to try turning off those features and giving it a try but I
don't want to scortch it. =P

I know it's something in the BIOS configs because it only stopped
working after the BIOS had reset to defaults. Which settings should I
set to what first?

--
"...It's like i'm so dumb sometimes... :S
You guys are so young and look what you do!!!

http://www.AIMetaSearch.com/ici/index.htm

In case the provided e-mail address fails to deliver any time after
31.10.2004, please try