Old December 24th 03, 06:19 PM
DaveL

AMD does speed bin those chips, you know.

Dave

"Chip" wrote in message
"Wes Newell" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:10:06 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading and overclocking. I read a review that said

that
Gigabyte MoBos can unlock Bartons without any hardware modification

with
Easy Tune 4. Is this true for all Bartons?

No MB can unlock a cpu. It only provides bit settings for cpu's that are
multiplier unlocked. If the cpu is locked, the settings have no effect.

My other question is would I be better off OC'ing a Barton 2600+

($100)
or 3000+ ($200). My main objective is number crunching speed. Would
the 3000+ be a waste of money or will it hit a faster speed or the

same
speed as 2600+? I'm planning on keeping the PC 2700 RAM and looking

at
the 7N400L MoBo.

All Bartons will clock about same regardless of model number. that

PC2700
ram might throw in a problem though unless the ram bus can be set lower
than FSB.

True. But the faster ones do it with less volts (typically) and therefore
running cooler and therefore potentially quieter. There aren't that many
2500's that will 11x200 at 1.65v. Most you have to bump up the volts a
little.

Chip.