Old December 24th 03, 05:53 AM
Wes Newell

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 03:10:06 +0000, Peter Harrington wrote:

I'm thinking of upgrading and overclocking. I read a review that said that
Gigabyte MoBos can unlock Bartons without any hardware modification with
Easy Tune 4. Is this true for all Bartons?

No MB can unlock a cpu. It only provides bit settings for cpu's that are
multiplier unlocked. If the cpu is locked, the settings have no effect.

My other question is would I be better off OC'ing a Barton 2600+ ($100)
or 3000+ ($200). My main objective is number crunching speed. Would
the 3000+ be a waste of money or will it hit a faster speed or the same
speed as 2600+? I'm planning on keeping the PC 2700 RAM and looking at
the 7N400L MoBo.

All Bartons will clock about same regardless of model number. that PC2700
ram might throw in a problem though unless the ram bus can be set lower
than FSB.