Old July 7th 04, 05:48 AM
pgtr

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 18:11:09 -0500, David Maynard
wrote:

I CAN also get back into Win2K if I drop the FSB down to 66 for a
stock 566 speed (and of course old DOS at 850mhz too).

But remember I CANNOT get BACK into Win2K a SECOND time if I do a
restart or power it down.

Yes, well, simply saying "it's broke" doesn't provide many clues. What the
heck does it DO when it doesn't 'get back into Win2K'? Hang? Crash? reboot?
Spew some message at you? And at what point in the shutdown or boot?

It hangs. It usually hangs in the black 'F8' screen w/ the progress
bar at the bottom that says it is starting windows. The progress bar
at the bottom usually goes about 75-80% across when it locks up. The
case reset switch has no affect at this point either - I have to power
it off. It will not log a bootlog file either.

It runs win2K fine 'one-time'? (whatever the heck 'one-time' means).

Here's what I wrote before in anticipation of your question:
It will never reboot again into Win2K. Sound strange? Let me explain
further. Let's say I set the voltage to say 1.85 or 1.90V default
(those are good popular voltages for an OC'd SL46T) - to do that I
have to reflash the BIOS so the Abit will give me a proper 'default'
voltage range. Immediately (and 1 time only) after a given reflash I
can then boot it ONE time and ONE TIME ONLY at 850mhz(100FSB). That's
IT! It will never reboot, restart or power-off and get back into Win2K
at that speed. Doesn't matter what I do to modify the voltage further
(I've gone as high as 2V). It will hang on booting into Win2K next go
around period.

I'll attempt to rephrase:

It means after flashing the BIOS I can then successfully boot into W2K
exactly ONE time. No more and no less. Once into W2K that initial time
(after a flash) at 850mhz - runs just fine all day long - torture
tests etc... But should I reboot or restart or shut down and later
restart it will NOT run W2K again (see above). (until of course I go
thru the reflash process). At this point I have to kick the FSB back
from 100 to 75.

I can boot to a 98 command prompt boot disk at 850mhz (100FSB) as
well. Tomorrow I'll throw together 98 setup on a spare HD and try that
to see if it can get into a full 98 windows environment.

What was the purpose of the flash and what 'changes' does the update say it
makes? That may have a clue.

The purpose of flashing is to modify the default voltage range from
1.5V +-.2V to a higher default such as 1.7V (+-.2V) or greater. There
are no 'changes' per se - I reflash w/ the last release BIOS.

Set your memory timings to the slowest possible and see if that helps.

Long since set to slowest most conservative settings. Everythign in
BIOS is set conservatively. Remember this all worked fine w/ a 100FSB
setting w/ a 366 OCd to 550. The 100FSB itself in thoery shouldn't be
a problem here I would think...?

And also remember that this machine has run for years at 100FSB w/ a
366 OC'd to 550 under the same Win2K setup.

check for bad caps ...