Old June 26th 04, 08:50 PM
Mike Richter

Princess Morgiah wrote:
Hi everyone,

Some time ago I asked for some help on how to burn a 90 minute disc. I was
able to burn the disc, but ever since I created that disc, I am stuck with
the following error: could not perform fixation. The writer is a Plextor
CD-R, PX-320a, and I am using Nero Burning Rom (5.5.10.56).

When I try to burn a CD-R, everything goes well right until the end when the
verification process starts, then it fails with the aforementioned error.
Besides this error, anoter is displayed: logical unit not ready, operation
in progress.

The first time it occured, I thought it was because I was watching TV with
my Hauppage TV card (which has given me troubles in the past), but now the
error keeps occuring.

The resulting disc seem to turn out fine: all files expected to be on the
disc are there, can be copied and verify correctly (CRC check with other
tools).

How can I fix this error? I already changed the expert features to disable
the overburn length (in short the tips given in
http://www.ormsby.ca/spazmogen/) but that did not seem to do it.

Though Plexwriters tend to be well behaved with overburning out to 95
minutes, you might have damaged the drive slightly. "Unable to perform
fixation" means that the runout is incomplete; since modern players need
very little runout, that may be okay.

The messages are distracting, but not critical as you have discovered.
In fact, it may be even less. Try writing without verifying; if that
gives no error, then the problem is only timing of the carriage
returning to start verification. If you're writing TAO, try DAO - that
means less movement on the mechanical assembly.

If you can isolate this to the mechanics and the drive is in warranty,
see if you can get it replaced or repaired by Plextor.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/