Old December 28th 07, 09:38 PM posted to alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.matrox
Phil Weldon

Default Fastest graphic card for Windows workstation use (2D, not gaming)

| I think that the NVidia Quadro or ATI FireGL are those that can give
| me the highest speed, more than the gaming cards.
| Are you completely sure that they cannot make a visible difference
| against cheap $50-$100 cards for general Windows use with tens of
| opened windows?
_____

If there were meaningful differences in 2D performance, there would be 2D
benchmark comparisons available. The only thing a more expensive card might
offer is better sharpness IF you were using analog output to your monitor.
And if that is the case, consider spending the extra money you seem to want
to spend on purchasing a digital input flat screen monitor rather than on
excess 3D power. The Vista Aero interface does require 3D performance
(probably the 'Show Windows' function, for example), but most of all make
sure good Vista 64 drivers are available NOW for the card you purchase.

Phil Weldon