Old February 17th 11, 05:40 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
Paul

Default Enumeration failures

Robin Bignall wrote:
I know that a lot of you know about Windows / hardware internals, and maybe
there's an explanation of the following.

I'm trying to use a famous and much-used uninstaller, and getting my registry
hosed each time. The product I'm trying to test it with is Realarcade's basic
games module, that has well over a hundred hooks into the registry. I run the
uninstaller, delete the registry entries, and reboot. I then get a series of
Windows messages, each in an OK box, in the following sequence.
Enumerate device win32_BIOS fail!
Enumerate device win32_Processor fail!
Enumerate device win32_Baseboard fail!
Enumerate device win32_Disk drive fail!
Enumerate device win32_ROM drive fail!
Enumerate device win32_physical memory fail!
Enumerate device win32_network adaptor fail!
Enumerate device win32_video controller fail!
Enumerate device win32_display configuration fail!
Enumerate device win32_sound device fail!
Enumerate device win32_operating system fail!
Enumerate device win32_computer system fail!

The system then runs in a much degraded state, and on the next reboot, won't
load and I have to restore it from backup.
The uninstaller's developers have tried the same uninstall, totally without
problem.

Anybody got any idea of what's going wrong?
(XP SP3, ASUS P5E3 Deluxe, Intel C2Duo 3x3, 4 gig RAM, system quite stable)

There are some suggestions here. The implication is, the message is
coming from somewhere else, like the damage or change has affected
some other piece of code. Whether it's WMI or Asus PCProbe, you'll have
to determine by trying some experiments.

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/s...d.php?t=454717

Paul