Old February 13th 17, 08:51 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Bill Cunningham[_2_]

Default Memory question

"VanguardLH" wrote in message
Bill Cunningham wrote:

I have put a new memory stick into my XP x64. I removed two 512 MB
sticks. This new one is 1024 MB. Why would my system still be saying
I have 896 MB of ram? Do I need to do something in BIOS? When I had a
1024 and a 512 MB in there it was showing I had 1.3 GB of ram.

You sure you are NOT using onboard video instead of a video
daughtercard? Onboard video has to get some RAM from somewhere so it
steals it from system RAM. Looks like you are using onboard video and
it is stealing 128MB for its special use.

You might be able to alter the amount the onboard video steals from
system RAM using a BIOS/UEFI setting. The more RAM you allocate to the
onboard video then the better the video chipset will perform. Of
course, that means less system RAM for use by the OS and applications.

Here's some example articles (of MANY you can find in an online search):

http://www.pvladov.com/2013/10/incre...eo-memory.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shared_graphics_memory

Don't know what mobo you have since you didn't give any hardware
details.

Is it reported on the system or do I have to open the tower case. I
don't feel like doing that again right now

Bill