Old May 11th 07, 03:25 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt
James White

Default "Bird Chirping" Noise Hard drive, seagate only?

On Tue, 08 May 2007 13:45:37 -0400, Bob Brown INC. wrote:

Got a 7200.10 drive, the 320gb sata II one
It has LOADS of complaints of BIRD CHIRPING noises, many many
complaints.

I like Seagate and all of my newer drives are from them. Mainly because
they work good and back in the old days (mid 90's) they were the only
manufacturer that would replace a bad drive no questions asked.

But, I have one new 200gb EIDE drive that chirps about once every 3 or 4
minutes. I haven't bothered to go through the replacement process
(yet) because it is used as a temporary cache that will lose nothing if it
fails, and I am curious if the chirp is an indication of a defect, or just
a component that is slightly off key (like aftermarket brake pads -
nothing wrong with the pads, they just squeak).

JW