Old July 19th 04, 08:32 AM
Pseudo Namen

"Marshall Law" wrote in message
XS11E wrote:

dano wrote in news:dano45-
:

In article ,
(Codemutant) wrote:

I am planning to use asus motherboard with the in
build geforce. Do tell me tips to keep my amd cooler and in perfect
working condition.

Tip on asus if you plan to use linux:
http://www.mozillaquest.com/Linux04/Asus_Sucks_Story-01.html

Pure fiction written by someone with a grudge agains ASUS, see my post
under "Is this true about ASUS".

ASUS supports Linux to the same extent they support any other OS, not
at all.

The story is poorly laid out, of that there is no contest. Whether it is
fiction or not is another issue. It is also no contest that Asus is
benefitting from a Microsoft relantionship.

Personally, since this claim came out, I'm watching Asus more carefully
but
I have not yet decided what the truth is.

If you were in business, wouldn't you choose the Lion's share over a meager
share? ASUS is in business to make money. Linux is for the most part a GNU
based OS, which is of course FREE. However, I have never heard of any ASUS
motherboard that couldn't run Linux, at least not the most popular versions
such as Mandrake or Redhat. There are many versions of Linux out there, and
there may be some that won't run well on Gigabyte, or Supermicro, or maybe
MSI???

The whole thing is based on some whiner who wants ASUS to write drivers for
an OS that is not only fringe, but has many distro's. Microsoft has
basically 4 distro's they support. Windows 9x/ME (one and the same
basically), Windows 2000, and Windows XP, Windows 2003 Server editions.

My motherboard brand is Chaintech. While it comes with Windows Drivers on
the CD, it doesn't come with Linux drivers. Does this mean they are
anti-Linux? I don't think so. Over 90% of PC's run Windows. Therefore, it
makes since for them to include drivers for Windows on it. But, I can get
drivers for my motherboard from NVIDIA, the maker of the chipset that is
used on my motherboard. NVIDIA also has Linux drivers too for this chipset.

Linux is not, I repeat NOT a major OS in the world, no matter how much you
want it to be. Get over it. Linux is a fringe OS, just as OS X is a fringe
OS. Which OS is better? That is for the consumer to decide. I like to use
both Mandrake & Windows. I would use Mandrake 10 64bit right now in
conjunction with Windows XP if Mandrake would support Mandrake 10 64bit, but
alas.... they choose not to. So for now, I am only running Windows XP Pro
until I can get another HD to run Mandrake 10.x on. ) (my 80gig HD is
much too small for running both XP and Mandrake. I have way too many games
and apps, and movies for that)

Ok, I digressed... LOL But you look on any CD that comes with the latest
motherboards, (motherboards made in the last year) and tell me which one has
native Linux drivers on it? Linux drivers, as well as Linux apps, are for
the most part written by users, not companies.

I hope this cleared this matter up.