Old December 13th 19, 11:11 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware
Paul[_28_]

Default Problems rebuilding system

Norm Why wrote:

From manual, here are the beep codes:

Q: What do the beeps emitted during the POST mean?
A: The following Award BIOS beep code descriptions may help you identify
possible computer problems.
(For reference only.)
1 short: System boots successfully
2 short: CMOS setting error
1 long, 1 short: Memory or motherboard error
1 long, 2 short: Monitor or graphics card error
1 long, 3 short: Keyboard error
1 long, 9 short: BIOS ROM error
Continuous long beeps: Graphics card not inserted properly
Continuous short beeps: Power error

Since I have not heard any beeps when the table says I should, that would
imply a problem with the front panel connecter. I'll be back after Xmas
duties.

It requires a working motherboard+CPU combo.
Then you'll get beep codes on SPKR.

SPKR is not polarized. Just make sure the span
is correct for the connector (some OEM cases might
have a 1x2 connector, while some retail motherboards
use a 1x4 pattern). You can use connector strips and
lift the tab on each, to shift wires within shells
and make the correct connector for the job.

The SPKR body should be electrically isolated from
the two wire leads. The wire leads go to the speaker
coil, and the coil moves in and out with the cone.
Even so, a few computer cases here use plastic
mounts for SPKR.

The front panel header is reasonably bulletproof.

RESET and POWER are SPST momentary contact switches, normally open.
You push the button, and the switch closes for a moment.

The LEDs are polarized as you say. The LED is rated
for 5V PIV (Peak Inverse Volts) so cannot be harmed
by reversing the leads. Each driving circuit has
a series resistor to limit current flow. If they don't
light, you reverse the 1x2 connector and try again.

Normally the spacing and span of various signal
assignments on the Front Panel connector, avoids
the possibility of shorting two power pins placed
next to one another. If there is a SPKR section
of a Front Panel connector, the "hot" end should
not be near a GND pin. The ones I've looked at,
generally have fairly safe signal assignments.
While there are connectors on a computer that get
crushed and you cannot visually check them,
the Front Panel connector isn't one of the ones
where people habitually do bad things. I don't
think I've had any reports of anyone managing to
start a fire using nothing but a Front Panel header
problem :-) (If you pinch the "hot" wire of SPKR
between the computer case door and the computer
case, which is GND, then the wire will get smoked.
And that has happened. Normally those wires aren't
sitting near the door.)

You can get a "no beep" condition, by using a
reset button crushed in the ON position. Usually
OEM computer cases are the ones with sufficiently
cheesy buttons on the front of the computer, to
make incidents like this possible. I have one
computer here, where the buttons are such,
I know that some day that's how those buttons
will fail. The buttons speak of cheapness.

Paul