Old February 28th 08, 12:27 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware.overclocking
Unknown

Default Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - RAM?

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008 16:48:42 -0800 (PST), bornfree
wrote:

,;Gigabyte GA-P35 DS3P - What RAM would you recommend?
,;
,;Someone told me this motherboard is "really fast", so it should have
,;fast ram. What do you think?

I can't speak to this board but I can speak to its sister, the
GA-P35-DS3L.

I ordered this board as a bundle assembled and tested. I usually do
this as I feel the extra $10 is worthwhile while to avoid DOA
components.

No problem with sticking it in the case and firing it up with a live
CD (Reatogo) so I went ahead with the installation (Vista). It got
about 3/4 of the way through installation and hung. Tried again and
same result. Tried a different Vista CD with the same result. Three
different XP CDs and one Win2000 Pro also hung part way through the
installation.

I suspected bad memory so I removed one stick (1GB). Now it booted to
the splash screen and hung. Problem solved? Not quite. Switched to the
other memory stick and it hung on the first splash screen again.

I called the vendor tech support and discussed the situation. He
looked up the order and they had installed DDR2 533 memory. The board
supports DDR2 667, 800, & 1066.

We did a memory exchange and the OS installation went flawlessly.

The moral to the story... Stay with the memory recommended by the
board manufacturer.