Old June 14th 19, 10:40 PM posted to comp.sys.ibm.pc.hardware.storage
Percival P. Cassidy

Default My latest Seagate HDD longevity report

On 5/31/19 9:33 AM, Shadow wrote:

An ST2000DM001 that has clocked up a smidgeon under 5 years (3 years
longer than its warranty) of 24/7/365 operation in my FreeNAS machine
has just reported 2968 unreadable sectors.

It has been replaced by an ST2000DM006.

My ST2000DM006 lasted exactly 4 months, with HDSentinel giving
it 100% health. Then the controller burnt and it became scrap. BIOS
could no longer see it.
Since I keep patient's records on the disk, I couldn't hand it
in on warranty.
So I got a Western Digital 2GB Blue. Bit slower, but working
OK.
It's "luck of the draw".
[]'s

Bit late responding to this, but I have heard of people transplanting
controller boards from one drive to another of the same model, sometimes
successfully.

Perce