Old December 15th 06, 04:01 PM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
kony

Default Newly Built Computer Won't Stay On

On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:20:53 -0700, "RussellS"
rsullivan@tastycomputersdotcom_replace"dot"with". " wrote:

MB - ASUS M2N-MX GF6100 AM2
MEM - 1G|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800LP1G R

The Power supply has this temp monitor fan controller thing, and it shows
a temp of about 25 C, before the computer shuts down. I've tried starting
with the knob at high, low, and auto, with the same results, that is shut
down in about 4 seconds.

I tried to boot before I installed the drives, and got the same results.

That particular DDR2-800 memory needs 2.2V and is geared more towards
overclockers, but I believe that motherboard supplies a maximum of 2.0V to
the memory and is not the best board choice for high voltage memory. Your
memory is probably not supported, so I'd go to the Asus site to get a list
of QVL memory for that motherboard, then do a memory exchange. if you can
get your hands on some DDR2-533 1.8V memory just to see if it'll boot up,
that could rule out other possibilities.

Also, double-check that both 12V power cords are plugged into the
motherboard.

Instable memory should not turn off the system in 4 seconds,
it would merely fail to post or crash.

This kind of problem is more often one of two sources:

1) PSU itself isn't staying within accepted voltage ranges
and shuts off. Might be defective, might be powering
defective parts, or a general system build error has shorted
something (doubtful since it stays on 4 seconds).

The PSU might be checked with a multimeter, monitored right
up until the point of shutdown.

2) Motherboard cause, either bios sensor reading out of
range (like voltage or fan RPM), or hardware shutdown like
CPU temp (particularly if heatsink isn't making contact- a
merely marginal heatsink installation wouldn't be bad enough
to hit overheat threshold within 4 seconds from cold-off
state, it'd have to be removed and the interface inspected
to determine this as 4 seconds isn't likely enough time to
get to the bios health monitor page to see any readings.