Old December 15th 06, 07:09 AM posted to alt.comp.hardware,alt.comp.hardware.homebuilt,alt.comp.hardware.pc-homebuilt
OSbandito

Default Newly Built Computer Won't Stay On

"Jack Bruss" wrote in message
I just built a new computer, and when I turn it on, it turns off in about 4
seconds. I hear a longish beep, and all 4 fans in the system are turning
before the whole thing shuts down. There is no time for anything to show
up on the monitor. The system is as follows:

CASE - COOMAS|CAC-T05-UB BLK/BL RT
PSU - SUNBEAM|SUNNU450-US-BK 450W RT
MB - ASUS M2N-MX GF6100 AM2
CPU - AMD|A64 X2 3800+ AM2 2x512K R
MEM - 1G|OCZ DII800 OCZ2P800LP1G R
HD - 120G|WD 7K 8M SATA2 WD1200JS

down in about 4 seconds.

I tried to boot before I installed the drives, and got the same results.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Jack

Russell generously responded:

That particular DDR2-800 memory needs 2.2V and is geared more towards
overclockers, but I believe that motherboard supplies a maximum of 2.0V to
the memory and is not the best board choice for high voltage memory. Your
memory is probably not supported, so I'd go to the Asus site to get a list
of QVL memory for that motherboard, then do a memory exchange. if you can
get your hands on some DDR2-533 1.8V memory just to see if it'll boot up,
that could rule out other possibilities.

Also, double-check that both 12V power cords are plugged into the
motherboard.

-Russell
http://tastycomputers.com

Jack, I'll throw in my two-cents here. I believe Russell is being kind.
What I'm seeing on the Anandtech forum is that (variants of)this MB are
causing LOTS of headaches, with regard to low RAM voltages in
particular. Though AMD did put together a good rig using the M2NBP-VM
CSM mated with the NVIDIA Quadro NVS 210S + nForce 430, it (the M2N)
seems awful damn touchy about which components it's mated with. I
haven't checked on whether the suffix on the board model means a lot. My
opinion, which is affected by low intellect and bad upbringing, is that
the ASUS MN2 board is more headaches than it's worth($100); probably
more trouble than the time you'll spend getting it to work right. Maybe
more experienced types can suggest something other than this nuclear option.
http://avs.amd.com/Home-Page/Best-of...m-Provide.aspx

~best luck